More than just Sunday School....
Children's Sunday School - Weaving God's Promises
The “Mission” of Weaving God’s Promises
- To help children and youth experience how God’s promises of salvation are woven into our lives.
- To show children and youth the way of Christ, not only in the church but also in the world as Christ’s ambassadors.
- To give children and youth a solid grounding for future youth and high-school formation programs, which prepares them for Christian adulthood.
- To foster the spiritual formation and growth of our children and youth in Christ’s love and mercy and to teach the spirit of forgiveness and reconciliation.
Year One: Weaving Our Faith
• The story of our salvation—from the fall of humankind to our redemption by Jesus Christ— and how we fit into this story. • THEME: God loves us and stays with us—no matter what—to bring us back to God’s divine love. • Focuses on the Gospel of Matthew, emphasizing the Kingdom of God and our Anglican tradition and faith.
Year Two: Weaving Together the Family of God
• How we became God’s people and part of the household of God, the Communion of Saints. • THEME: once we were no people, but now we are GOD’S people. • Focuses on the Gospel of John, with stories of individuals’ encounters with Jesus and their transformation in his-love, and the saints of the church.
Year Three: Weaving God’s Beloved Community
• How we are called by God to live in loving community with one another and fulfill God’s promises for us in the healing of all creation. • THEME: We are called by God to live as one body in Christ, loving our neighbors as ourselves. • Focuses on the Gospel of Luke, with emphasis on our holy calling to care for others and the gospel values of welcome, inclusion, compassion, mercy, forgiveness, justice, and liberation.
Middle High/Senior High
Upper-middle school students are invited to take a leadership role by assisting the Sunday School teachers. By mentoring our children, the middle school youth are provided opportunities to find their voice, plan activities, and explore the scriptures.
All senior high youth are invited to attend the Adult Forum each Sunday morning from 11:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. A wide range of topics based in scripture and theology are explored; be sure to check the latest edition of Evangelus for the latest schedule of Adult Forum topics.
Youth Fellowship is under the supervision of The Rev. Amanda Knouse. A separate guide and calendar for these meetings can be found at the church office. Youth Group events include mission trips, Vacation Bible School, Holy Hikes, bowling, trips to the National Cathedral, and much more! Helpers are needed and FRIENDS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME.
Look for additional information for youth group on the bulletin board in the Christian Education building, in the weekly service bulletin, and the monthly Evangelus!